Change of Financial Position

Due to circumstances beyond your control, your financial position may change during your tenancy with us.

The first step is to complete this form, to advise us and your landlord of your situation.


The next step is to contact the following support services, who may be able to assist you.

Click on the headings below for information

The Queensland Government has set up a grant program that offers an emergency rental assistance payment of up to $500 a week, for up to four weeks, for Queenslanders who can not make rent.

The payments can be accessed by clicking on the link below and completing an online application form.

If you have more questions about your application and the assistance available to you, please contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1800 497 161 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday).

New temporary measure due to coronavirus

On 22 March 2020 the federal government announced a temporary measure allowing individuals affected by the coronavirus to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation in 2019/20 and a further $10,000 in 2020/21.

You can apply for early release of your super from April 20, provided you satisfy one or more of the following:

   •  You are unemployed
   •  You are eligible to receive a job seeker payment, youth allowance for jobseekers, parenting payment (including the single and partnered payments), special benefit or farm household allowance
   •  On or after 1 January 2020:
          -  You were made redundant
          -  Your working hours were reduced by 20% or more
          -  If you are a sole trader and your business was suspended or your turnover has reduced by 20% or more.

Individuals will not need to pay tax on amounts released and the money they withdraw will not affect Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs payments.

A Rental Security Subsidy provides temporary financial support to your landlord to help sustain your rental tenancy.

You can have your rent subsidised for a maximum of 6 months. The level of rent subsidy is based on factors such as total household income and your circumstances.

For more information:

   •  phone Housing Services on 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

   •  email [email protected]

   •  contact your nearest Housing Service Centre.

National Debt Helpline is a not-for-profit service that helps people in Australia tackle their debt problems.

Their professional financial counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service.  They’re here to help you get back on track.

Call 1800 007 007 to find out how they can help. Open Monday to Friday, 9.30 am – 4.30 pm.

The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme:

   •  is for Queensland households experiencing problems paying their electricity or reticulated natural gas bills as a result of an unforeseen emergency or a short-term financial crisis

   •  is one-off emergency assistance to help with paying your home energy bills

   •  pays up to $720 once every 2 years.


To be eligible you must be responsible for paying the outstanding bill (the bill does not need to be in your name) and meet one of the following:

  • hold a current concession card, or

  • have an income equal to or less than the Australian Government’s maximum income rate for part-age pensioners. Contact Centrelink for details of the maximum income rate.

  • be part of your energy retailer’s hardship program or payment plan.

Full eligibility details, including the types of emergency situations you might get help for, are available from your energy retailer or participating financial counselling service.

How to apply

For more information, or to apply, contact your energy retailer. They will start the application process after considering all the eligibility criteria.

If you can't pay your electricity, gas, phone or water bill, contact your service provider straight away. They will explain your options, such as:

   •  an extension to pay
   •  paying in instalments
   •  Centrelink deductions (Centrepay)
   •  applying for a utility rebate or voucher

If you don't contact your provider, they may suspend or disconnect your service.

Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:

   •  the Electricity Rebate—$340.85 per year (GST inclusive)
   •  the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate—$73.60 per year (GST inclusive).

Please note, all rebates are GST inclusive. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.


During challenging times, making financial decisions can feel overwhelming. There's support and services available to help you.


Help to maintain housing and avoid homelessness. 

The Red Cross supports people who are at risk of losing their rental property by negotiating with landlords, helping people to get their tenancy and rent payments back on track or finding more suitable accommodation.

They also help clients to manage the underlying issues which contribute to their housing problems, including income management, misuse of alcohol or other drugs, or with problems like compulsive hoarding.

Covid-19 Support Services

As more and more people enter mandatory self-isolation, they’re providing some extra help to those who don’t have the support of an income or a network of family and friends.  

This will scale up in the coming weeks and currently includes: 

  • daily phone calls to more than 5,000 Queenslanders in self-isolation, on behalf of the Queensland Department of Health  
  • delivering emergency food and essentials packages to Victorians who have little to no food, in partnership with the Victorian Government, Foodback, Select’d, the Salvation Army and other organisations  
  • working with other state and territory governments to ramp up wellbeing phone calls and other support to people who are left especially vulnerable 
  • using skype and video chat to maintain the connection between our elderly clients and the volunteers who can no longer visit them in person.

Having money troubles? 
Financial problems can affect anyone, anywhere, at any time. With debt building up, paying your rent or even buying food for your family can feel overwhelming. Money troubles may leave people feeling lonely, embarrassed and isolated. There are many services to help you get back on your feet.

Do you need urgent help?
If you find yourself in a sudden crisis, call the Salvation Army's emergency relief team on 1300 371 288. They'll listen to the issues you’re facing and direct you to your nearest SalvosConnect community centre, where you can pick up your pre-approved help package. 

Link for full information :


The Financial Resilience program can help you improve your financial knowledge, access affordable financial products and manage the factors that are contributing to your financial difficulties.

Financial resilience workers and counsellors can provide financial education and advice and manage individual cases for those in need.

Financial resilience workers build your capacity to understand your financial situation by:

   •  looking at ways in which credit works
   •  helping you develop and maintain budgets
   •  undertaking straightforward negotiations with creditors
   •  linking you with specialist support services (e.g. gambling help, drug and alcohol services)
   •  helping you access low cost financial products such as no interest loans.

Qualified financial counsellors are able to help resolve more complex financial problems, and can undertake complex negotiations with creditors about restructuring debts if necessary.

United Synergies provides direct support to individuals, families and communities, to assist them in achieving stability and security in their lives.

Phone 07 5442 4277


Every day, St Vincent de Paul workers and volunteers deliver aid to people unable to find secure and adequately paid work, and we witness the financial pressure and emotional toll this puts on them and their families.

Vinnies assists people who are unemployed or underemployed by conducting home visits and helping with food and utility bills.!qld


If you are no longer able to afford to live in the property you are leasing, you have the right to request to terminate the tenancy early.

If a tenant ends a fixed term agreement before the end date without grounds (i.e. without sufficient reason) they are breaking the agreement. This is also known as breaking the lease.

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding agreement. If it is broken, compensation will probably need to be paid.

Money may be owed to the property manager/owner as a result of breaking the lease. This is considered compensation. Example: the loss of rent until the property is re-let or until the end of the tenancy agreement.

The tenant may also have to pay reasonable re-letting and advertising costs.

Any compensation, or payment options for the amount, should be discussed between the tenant and the property manager/owner (this could include how the bond is to be paid out).

The property manager/owner must mitigate any loss associated with breaking the lease.

Excessive hardship

If the tenant or property manager/owner is experiencing excessive hardship (e.g. serious financial or health issues) they may make an urgent application to QCAT for an order terminating the agreement. However, QCAT may also order compensation to be paid even if the agreement is terminated.